Cartographic Portfolio and ResumeScroll ▾
High resolution images and more samples available upon request
Maps and website design / code of Trail Notes created by Lee France
National Geographic Society
Evergreen, Colorado | May 2011 – Present
- Member of a team of cartographers designing and creating the Trails Illustrated Outdoor Recreation Map line for National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated maps covering National Parks, National Forests, and State Parks throughout the country at varying scales using Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and ESRI’s ArcGIS.
- Managed new map projects from inception and carried out duties such as data collection, meeting with National Forest and National Park personnel, and working with contractors.
- Executed every aspect of the map making process. This includes research, data collection and implementation, cartographic design of layouts and map content, attention to aesthetics, and applying specific National Geographic styles, symbols and standards.
- Tailored content for digital and mobile applications as well as paper products.
City of Sandpoint
Sandpoint, Idaho | March 2011 – May 2011
- Designed GIS of the city’s water system by implementing GPS data, CAD drawings, and digitization using ArcGIS.
- Created Geodatabase for the city’s GIS needs with feature classes for Public Works, Planning and Recreation.
NIGSA (Nomadas International Group SA)
Punta Arenas, Chile | Sept. 2008 – Jan. 2009/Oct.2010 – Mar.2011
- Designed small-scale reference maps and large-scale navigation maps of the Patagonia Region for the Patagonian Expedition Race using ArcGIS, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Used satellite imagery and Google Earth to digitize shapefiles of water features in Chilean Patagonia.
- Utilized data from sources such as USGS and NASA to create hillshades and contours based on DEMs.
- Created and maintained a place-names annotation database of the Patagonia Region.
- Created custom map projections for specific geographic regions of Patagonia to minimize distortion.
- Implemented aforementioned tasks to establish a working GIS for NIGSA and standardization of map products.
- Supported general manager in the field with race and trail route exploration.
Forest Capital Partners
Sandpoint, Idaho | Summers May 2006 - Aug. 2008
- Collected road inventory data such as road centerlines, culverts, gates and bridge locations and hazardous weed presence using Trimble XM GPS handheld receiver with TerraSync. Project was awarded Notable Practice by Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
- Analyzed and edited stream layers by matching line segments to aerial images and contours using ArcInfo Editor. Joined and edited multiple road layers for a Haul Analysis program to determine best routes for log trucks.
- Processed data into layers using ArcGIS 9.2, produced field maps using ArcMap, and edited GPS data by analyzing and matching to aerial images.
US Forest Service: Forestry Technician
Sandpoint, ID | April 2010 – October 2010
Moose Pass, Alaska | April 2009 – September 2009
- Member of a ten person hand crew that aided in fuels reduction, prescribed burning, and wildland fire suppression.
- Member of a six person engine crew that aided in fuels reduction and wildland fire suppression.
Northern Arizona University
B.S in Geographic Information Science | December 2007
- Cum Laude, Dean’s List (Fall 2007), Cumulative GPA: 3.47
- Advanced user of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop with Avenza's MAPublisher extension
- Advanced user of ArcGIS 9.x and 10.1
- Proficient with Mapbox Studio and CartoDB
- Artistic, Collaborative, Precise, Mathematical, and Creative
- Advanced Spanish speaking and writing ability
This website was designed and coded by Lee France